We describe a 42-year-old woman scheduled for emergency cesarean section wh
o had sudden cardiopulmonary arrest just before induction of general anesth
esia. Hypermagnesemia, caused by accidental overdose of magnesium sulfate d
uring transportation to the operating room, was the primary cause of this l
ife-threatening event. Anesthetic management after such events and a brief
summary of the literature regarding iatrogenic hypermagnesemia in obstetric
patients are provided. (C) 2000 Elsevier Science Inc.